How to Start an Online Business Website?
The internet holds so many opportunities that nobody can avoid it. Whatever your business idea is, there’s bound to be something you can do online to help its development.
A lot of people choose to make money online because it comes with many perks like worldwide access and many other things. Doing business online is simply something that has worked for the past 10 years and will continue to be even better in upcoming years. So, the sooner you start to work on your business, the better.
If you’re ready to launch your idea and make it profitable, you can follow the steps we’ve given here to move forward.
Step 1: Find a Problem to Solve or a Need to Fill
Even if your idea is awesome, nobody will care about it if it doesn’t provide them value. But even if you’re looking to launch a simple retail business, you have to find needs first instead of products. So, in order to boost your chances for success, find a market you’re looking to enter.
Find the group of people who are looking for a solution to a certain problem without finding too many results. It’s quite easy to do this research on the internet these days; you can do it in numerous ways:
- Visit Quora and see what kind of questions people ask in the niche you’re in.
- Keyword research with the MOZ Keyword explorer or the Google Keyword Planner.
- See what your competitors have going on by visiting other websites and seeing how they fill the specific need you’re looking to target.
Step 2: Create a Website or Choose a Marketplace
You have plenty of options for getting your products in front of customers. You can either choose from the many online marketplaces like Amazon, eBay and others, or you can create your own website. Submitting your products to an online marketplace is quick and easy, but has a lot of drawbacks.
For starters, the marketplace will take its cut off your profits and impose numerous limitations. They’ll have a say in what you sell and how you sell it. Furthermore, there is a lot of competition in every marketplace, so you can easily find yourself in pricing wars. But if you want the quick and easy solution without having to meddle with creating a website, it can definitely work in your favor. In fact, the best thing about these marketplaces is that they have a constant flow of traffic, so it’s much easier to get customers from them.
Nonetheless, if you want to create a website, you can do that pretty quickly too. You will have to watch a lot of tutorials and tinker with your website’s design, but you’ll also have full control over your website. Furthermore, it will require a larger up-front investment but will make you more money in the long term.
Launching a website these days is easy. It takes three simple steps:
- Register a hosting account– Sign up to HostGator because they are the most reliable, inexpensive and the fastest service for WordPress. Free SSL certificate is included with all shared hosting plans.
- Install WordPress – HostGator lets you install WordPress with a single click, and launch your website within an hour. It’s as easy as it can be.
- Install the DIVI theme – If you want to make your website look exactly the way you want it, Divi is the way to go. Very few other platforms make it as simple to create a professional web design out of drag and drop elements. It’s more inexpensive than hiring a developer and you can use it to create multiple websites as well.
Here are a few pointers for creating a simple but compelling business website:
- Use only one or two plain fonts on a white background.
- Make your website’s navigation simple, comprehensive and consistent on every page.
- Only use video, graphics or audio if they enhance the user experience and can properly communicate your message.
- Add an opt-in offer and collect your user’s email addresses.
- Make buying as simple and easy as possible. It shouldn’t take the user more than two clicks.
- Think of your website as your online storefront and make it as user-friendly as you can.
Whichever option you choose for selling your products, be sure to weigh out the pros and cons to see which one would work for you the best.
Step 3: Write Copies that Sell
Writing for the web is an interesting art form that greatly impacts how well you can sell your products. It’s your way of communicating with your websites visitors and telling them what value you can offer. This is a critical part of the sales process, but you can do it well with the right formula:
- Arouse the reader’s interest with a compelling and unique headline.
- Use the first paragraph to describe what problem your product will solve.
- Establish your credibility with examples and tell the reader exactly how you’ll solve their problem.
- Include testimonials from people who were satisfied with the product.
- Write a list of benefits the product can offer to the user.
- Make a compelling offer.
- Provide a strong guarantee for the product’s success.
- Create urgency with something like “limited time offer”.
- Ask the reader to buy your product.
The most important thing in whatever copy you write is to focus on the unique value the product will provide to its user. Describe exactly how a specific product will make people’s lives easier and or better.
Step 4: Market Your Website
When you have your website set up and ready to go, it’s time to use the appropriate marketing strategies. You should have a clear idea of exactly who your audience is in order to take advantage of various online marketing strategies.
Most people market their websites and products through search engines, social media platforms and paid advertisements. Depending on your unique business model and the kind of people you want to attract, you can get some solid results with these.
You should always invest some effort into optimizing your website for search engines. Creating blog posts and compelling content will help you increase your search engine ranking and earn targeted traffic for free. Even though this takes a long time, once you reach a good place on the search engine ranking pages, you’ll gain the traffic you need to sell an amazing number of products. However, that requires consistent work and your search engine rank will always be in fluctuation.
If you’re going to use PPC, expect rapid results but only as long as you’re paying search engines an advertising networks for traffic. Regardless, this can work very well if you’re getting a pretty good if you’re selling expensive products with a high return on investment.
Social media marketing is something every business owner should take advantage of. You can either use it just for publishing posts or you can use it as a paid marketing platform as well. Nothing can target users as accurately as a social media platform. Facebook for example has very sophisticated algorithms in place that will get you the exact people you need.
You should also consider blogging and making YouTube videos as well. Publishing high-quality content on a regular basis is easily the best way to attract users to your site. Nothing sells better on the internet than valuable information, so make sure that you have some on your site. This brings me to my next point.
Catching your user’s email addresses is one of the best things you can do for your business. Build an emailing list, because it’s a highly valuable asset. It allows you to directly contact the people who already showed interest in your products and allows you to convert them into buyers.
Step 5: Establish Yourself as an Expert in Your Niche
One of the most important things in getting your site’s visitors to buy what you’re selling is trust. They have to trust that you have their best interest in mind and that the information you’re providing is completely valid. People usually come to the internet for information and they read a lot about a product before they buy it. If you’re the one to provide that information, they’ll likely buy it through you.
In order to leverage the power of being an expert in your field, you can do the following:
- Write blog posts or give away free eBooks that contain some of your expert advice.
- Add “send it to a friend” links to every valuable content piece you publish.
- Get active in expert industry forms and social networking groups.
All of these will get people interested in what you have to say and will likely navigate to your website for more information. People tend to trust a business a lot more if there is a face behind it, so make sure they see yours!
Step 6: Increase Your Profits through Upselling and Back-End Sales
Once people have made their first purchase on your site, your job is far from done. You’ll have to use upselling and back-end selling to encourage them to buy from you again. Remember that returning customers are always the best, so seek to have as many as you can. You can achieve this by:
- Offering products that complement the original purchase they made.
- Provide them electronic loyalty coupons that allow them to redeem something of value upon their next visit.
- Show them other related products on your “Thank You” page after they’ve made a purchase.
The internet changes overnight, so spending a year online is like spending 5 years in the real world. You’re up for a wild ride if you’re starting your business online and you’ll have to constantly move with the flow and developments. Regardless, the principles of launching and running a successful online business won’t change, so you always have something to look to when you’re planning your next move.
I hope that you have enjoyed reading this article and that we helped you on your journey to start a successful online business!