How to Generate Traffic for Affiliate Marketing Website?
Building your own affiliate marketing business is really exciting. Figuring out your niche, your products and getting your website up and running is enough of a challenge indeed. But it’s only the first step and you still have to put in a lot of work to get the show on the road. Namely, you’ll have to generate targeted traffic, which will be your main job. It is the only way you can make good money as an online entrepreneur. Affiliate marketing is one of the easiest businesses you can jump in when you think about it. Someone else has already created the products, set up an array of marketing tools and offered you some solid marketing commissions. The rest is up to you. You’ll have to market said product and find an audience who would be interested in it.
If you’re just starting out, you’re in a good place. Because learning about all the various ways you can generate traffic is extremely important for your job. But ensuring that the traffic is targeted and will convert is the other. Getting that high-quality traffic is what will help you meet your goals. Even if you get high amounts of traffic and it doesn’t convert, than you’ll have some tweaking to do.
First, we’ll be dealing with the latter, providing you with a framework to find the right audience. After that I’ll tell you how to make your content valuable to said audience. Finally, I’ll tell you the various ways you can generate traffic and number of neat little tips that you can use right away. Sounds good? Well stick around to get it all.
Outline and Research Your Audience
Establishing your ideal customer persona is the first step to building any kind of business. For example, if you’re running a flower store a woman who will have a wedding soon, will want flowers as decoration. So she will be one of your ideal customers. The same train of thought applies when you’re looking to establish who your audience is. It is the most important step to take prior to launching your business, because you’re wasting your time and energy otherwise.
Once you know who your audience is, you can get together a list of products you can promote. Figure out what product would give your particular group of people the most value or what would eliminate their greatest problems. To establish a useful customer persona, answer the following questions:
- What kind of language do they use and prefer to read? Are they more educated and intellectual or prefer a casual language?
- What are their physical and mental characteristics? (looks, self-esteem, values, sexuality, and thousands of other things)
- What kind of careers they pursue and about how much is their monthly salary?
- What kind of people do they follow? Who do they admire?
- What hobbies do they have? What do they do in their free time?
- Are they single, in a relationship or married?
The better-rounded your image of your audience is, the better content you can create for them and the better you can choose your affiliate products as well. If you find a good match, than you can establish a basis for making good money.
Create Valuable Content
You ever heard the phrase content is king? Well, in affiliate marketing, I would rather call it the queen. Because with good content and no traffic, you won’t get far. But with high amounts of traffic and no good content, nobody will care about your site. So the king and queen has to walk together hand in hand to make this work.
Your content is what will make people listen to you and what will make people trust you enough to buy the affiliate products through your site. But first it’s about giving people a compelling reason to devote their time and energy to listening to what you have to say. What will make you different from the thousands of other affiliate websites offering the same products? Do you deliver it in a unique style? Do you give your readers useful advice on how to use them? Are you truly emphatic towards your customers which will earn their trust and likeability?
Provide unique content that gives good value to your audience, pair it with the appropriate products and you’ll get yourself set up pretty well. At some point, you might end up creating your own digital products which will add further value to your site.
The best and simplest ways to make your content valuable are:
- Answering the questions your target audience has. You can use search engine tools, social media groups and more. Just look around and see what they are curious about.
- Make your posts about actionable steps. This way it’s more likely that your audience will come and read it. Otherwise they will just see it as some wishy-washy content without even reading it.
- Use actual data and real life examples. Nothing gets people going better than actual facts. Use them!
Be Active on Social Media
Social media is one of the most powerful marketing tools you can use. It enables you to engage with your potential customers and share some of your content as well. It will also show your audience that you care about their opinions and satisfaction. This will strengthen your relationship with them and improve a lot on your brand image.
After getting active on social media, it’s important that you stay active. It might be difficult to do so as you run a business, but it is something that will pay off. You have a lot of tools at your disposal that let you schedule your posts and do a lot more with your chosen platforms. You can use Buffer for example. It’s a great social media management platform that will make your life a lot easier.
You should also make sure to:
- Find the right platform to reach your audience. You should look into where your perspective customers hang out. If you have figured out your ideal audience and their demographics, apply that to social media demographics. For example, if your target audience is mostly made up of women, Pinterest is the right place to start because 67% of its users are female.
- Have a clear posting schedule. You work to engage your audience as much as possible, and to do it as consistently as possible. For that, a steady posting schedule is the best solution. Find out when most of your audience is active on social media and catch them when they are!
- Share your content in social media groups that are organized around the topics you’re talking about.
- Always experiment with new posts and measure their results.
Comment On Blog Posts
If you’re running a blog, this can do you wonders. Just search for other blogs in your niche and visit one of their posts. Read it and share your opinion if you find it useful and meaningful. Start a conversation with people and share one of your own content pieces. You can use commenting to drop a link too, but the best way to use it is to grow your network by adding value to the conversation. If you find someone who is actually interested in what you have to say and would like to learn from you, they’ll definitely look around your site to know more about you.
A great way to save some time is by using Tiberr. It’s a great marketing tool that will find you comment sections within your targeted niche. This way, you don’t have to spend countless hours with browsing and you can just jump into action right away.
Write Guest Posts On Other Blogs in Your Niche
Guest posting is one of the most popular ways for websites and bloggers to gain attention. It’s a proven way to drive traffic and gain some new followers for your site. In order to have people accept your guest posts, you already have to have somewhat an established blog, so that people will actually trust you to write a good copy. Also, when guest posting, make sure that you’ll wow your new audience and give them something that will make them want to visit your site and see what else you have going on. That’s your goal to start with, so make sure that you fulfill it.
To approach a blog for guest posting, you first have to find it and engage with it as a reader. Write at least 10-20 friendly comments into its comment section. This way, when you actually ask the blog’s owner about writing a guest post, you won’t just be some stranger. He/she will already be familiar with you.
Paid advertising is one of the quickest surefire ways to help your website gain more visitors. You can use social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter, or PPC are all great options. The prices for PPC will vary depending on the keywords you’ll be using and your daily budget. Google, Bing and Yahoo all have great PPC options. Because Yahoo and Bing only hold about 30% of the search engine market, they are much cheaper, which is pretty good if you’re on a small budget.
Use Common SEO Practices
Optimizing your website and its content for search engines is one of the most powerful things you can do to get a consistent flow of organic traffic to your website. It can be a time consuming process and you won’t get high ranks overnight. But it will definitely pay off in the long term. You don’t have to be a SEO expert to follow basic SEO practices that will end up getting much better traffic for your site. There are a lot of simple steps you can take to do so. Here they are:
Do Keyword Research and Collect Keywords
Keyword research is the initial process of search engine optimization. It is very important to get it right because it is what you will base the rest of your work upon. With proper keyword research, you’ll be able to tell what exact phrases people use to search for the type of content you offer. When you write a new blog post, you should always find keywords that people use to find such content. You can use tools like Google’s Keyword Tool or MOZ’s Keyword Explorer. Just make sure you’re not obsessed with search volume, because keywords with less searches can be a lot more valuable. It’s much better to be a big fish in a small pond than be a small fish in a big pond when it comes to SEO. Meaning that you should aim more for low-competition keywords than sheer search volume.
Optimize Your Content
Google will look at your webpage’s metadata and its content and search it for keywords. There are some key places where you should include your keywords in every blog post you write. These are:
- The page title (headline). You should make your target keyword the first few words of the title if possible.
- The first paragraph of your content. It’s very important that you use your target keywords within the first paragraph of your text. Just make sure that you’re not keyword stuffing.
- Write image titles, ALT-texts and descriptions.
- The slug URL of your page should also include your keywords by all means.
- You should also include your keywords at least 3 times within a 1000 word text. Make them blend in naturally with your text and make sure you’re not keyword stuffing.
Use Internal Linking
Backlinks are one of the most important factors in SEO. Search engines use them to decide whether your site is trustworthy or not. Every backlink you get from an external website is a vote of confidence. But what about your own site? Linking to your own pages is just as important, from a SEO and a reader standpoint. With a good internal linking system you can easily build quality links. Not only that, you will also engage your readers more, because they’ll take more time to look around your site.
Things Not To Do
SEO can be a tricky business and you can easily use tricks or practices that will anger Google. Making Google angry is biting the hand that feeds you and you won’t get away with it. If you’re not increasing your organic traffic in an ethical manner, you’ll get hit sooner or later. Believe me, penalties from Google isn’t something you want and it won’t get your website in a good place. So, here are the practices you should avoid to stop that from happening.
- Don’t participate in black-hat SEO techniques.
- Don’t use cheap links that have nothing to do with your website.
- Never use an exact-match anchor text for your pages.
- Don’t post copied, scraped or just plain low quality content.
- Don’t participate in shady link building schemes.
I believe that the right tools and consistent hard work will get you the results. Be sure to do plenty of research and use the keywords you’ve learnt about here. Building traffic is a multi-faced challenge that you can tackle in many ways. There are a lot of tricks out there that will end up getting you some much awaited traffic spikes. So, what are you waiting for? Go out there and get more of them!