How To Change Wix Domain Name
In this blog post, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to change the Domain name of your website’s URL on Wix.
Wix is a user-friendly web platform that makes creating a website easy and fast. You can choose different themes and customize them to fit your business needs.
One of the key aspects of having a web presence is having an easily recognizable URL that reflects your business’s identity.
If you decide to change the domain name of your business website or to move it to a different domain, Wix has settings in place to help you do this in a few steps.
Reasons Why You May Want to Change Your Wix Domain Name
Changing your Wix domain name may be necessary for various reasons, including:
- When you have chosen an unprofessional/unoriginal domain name when first setting up your website
- When you have changed your business’s name for marketing reasons
- When you want to purchase a shorter, more memorable domain
Step 1: Decide on the New Domain
This is the first step in the process and often requires some creative thinking. You need to come up with a new URL that reflects all that your business stands for.
Also, make sure it’s not already taken by someone else by researching it inside Wix as well as in other places online. Once you have decided upon a new domain name, it’s time to purchase it.
Step 2: Purchase the New Domain
First things first: make sure that you buy the domain through an accredited registrar like GoDaddy or Google domains and make sure that you are given total control over it. After purchasing the new domain, log in to Wix and follow these steps:
- Go into Site Settings > Domains > Transfer & Connect Existing Domain > Connect Existing Domain > Connect Now (under this section)
- Enter in your new URL and click “Continue”
- Follow all steps as prompted by Wix until completion
Step 3: Connect the New Domain to Wix
Once you have purchased and connected your new domain using Wix’s platform, there are two additional steps you must complete before full implementation of your new URL will take effect:
- Add DNS records by going into site settings > Domains and click “DNS Settings”
- Verify both domains by going into site settings > Domains and click “Verify Your Email Address(es)”
Step 4: Set Up DNS for Email Accounts and/or Services
If you choose to use email accounts associated with either of these domains then set up CNAME records under DNS Settings in order for them work correctly once transferred onto Wix’s platform.
- Go back into Site Settings > Domains > DNS Settings
- Click “ Add Custom Record”
- Select “ CNAME record from type drop down list
- Enter @ or blank space under Name field
- Enter ghs.googlehosted.com under data content field
- Click Add now button
Repeat the same steps if there are additional email accounts associated with either of these domains. Also, repeat the same steps if there are additional services associated with either of these domains like google maps.
Repeat same above step after adding all records and save changes at bottom of the page. When complete all changes will take effect within 24 hours You may experience some downtime during the transition between two domains but this should not last long
Step 5: Set Up a Redirect from Your Old Wix URL to Your New Domain Name
With this step, we’ll be setting up a permanent redirect so any traffic sent over the old domain will be automatically sent over new one without the need for additional manual intervention.
To do so head over to:
- Site Settings > Advanced > 301 Redirects tab
- Enter old URL > Enter new URL
- Under ‘Alternatively’ select ‘301 – Moved Permanently’ from the dropdown Click ‘Add’
- Wait for the page to reload once done
Step 6: Update Your Contact Information Everywhere!
Once all the above-mentioned steps are complete, remember don’t forget the last step which is updating everywhere about changes in contact information like email address, phones, etc related to respective sites.
We recommend going through each profile on social media platforms like Twitter/Facebook etc or websites where ever contact information might be listed separately even those that couldn’t be changed automatically due to changes in the domain.
Changing a Wix domain name is not difficult but needs attention while performing various steps involved in a transition phase. In most cases, only basic technical knowledge would suffice but anyone looking for professional help can also get assistance from experts.