IDrive is definitely one of the most versatile and feature-packed backup services you’ll find so…
$7.49 / month
Data loss is something that people usually only think about when it’s already too late or perhaps occasionally on World Backup Day. But a yearly backup plan is hardly ever enough – hardware or system malfunctions can happen at any time and your digital files are at risk of disappearing. Your PhD thesis, photos of your wedding, videos from your awesome summer vacation, and any important file you store on your PC may be lost in a split of a second. Cloud backup services like SugarSync make sure that your backed up files are safe no matter the unfortunate event that lead to your computer stored files being destroyed.
SugarSync provides a robust cloud storage and file syncing service that focuses on the needs of individual users by making it simple and convenient to back up files, but provides a reliable and secure service for businesses as well.
SugarSync Plans, Features and Support
In the following part of our SugarSync review, we will take a closer look to the plans, pricing and features offered by the company, and will dive into their online support as well.
All plans at SugarSync include a 30-day free trial during which users can take try out the features that makes SugarSync a popular cloud storage and backup service.
There are 5 subscription plans – three individual and two business – that you can choose from. While unlimited cloud storage would indeed be an exciting prospect to entertain for SugarSync, their current storage allocations are not insignificant either. $7.49 per month for 100GB, $9.99 per month for 250GB, and $18.95 for 500GB. These are the individual plans with the 250GB for $9.99 being the most popular option. Business plans include the 1000GB for $55/month for 1-3 users with the option to increase the number of users to up to 9. Of course, as the number of users increases, so does the price. The 1000GB business plan for 9 users costs $133/month. With the 1000GB business plan you can set storage limits per user, enable and disable users and assign roles, set permissions, monitor user activity, and remote wipe computers. The second business plan is a custom plan that can be tailored to your specific requirements, and it’s intended for businesses where the number of users would be above 9.
The individual plans are not the cheapest online backup options available on the market, but once you get familiar with the features that come with these plans, you’ll understand the slightly higher costs.
Compared to other services of this caliber, SugarSync has a lot of useful features including sharing and collaboration capabilities that are not available among the features of other backups.
Here is a breakdown of the most useful features found in this cloud backup service:
- Quick and easy setup: simply create an account, choose your subscription plan and download the SugarSync app to your PC and mobile devices.
- Support for an unlimited number of devices: You can sync your work PC with your home PC, you can sync your Macs or even PCs with Macs; moreover, SugarSync lets you sync files and folders between your mobile device and your computers. SugarSync has a web application, a desktop app and mobile app. The mobile app is compatible with Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows Phones, Blackberry, and Symbian devices. The desktop app is compatible with Windows and Mac.
- Choose and pick what to sync: Not only that you can choose the folders and files that you want to sync, but you can also choose which folder to sync with which device.
- Sharing & Collaboration: You can have complete control over how you share files with others. Share view-only or editable files or generate public links to share over email, IM, or social media platforms. Recipients will able to download these files without the trouble of having to register. With SugarSync, collaboration is made easy allowing you to share a folder with friends, family or co-workers and set permissions.
- Drag and drop file sync: You can right click on any folder to add it to SugarSync or you can drag and drop your folders into the SugarSync desktop folder (referenced as “Magic Briefcase”).
- 5 file versioning: Overwritten a file you shouldn’t have? Go back up to 5 file versions to get the version you need.
- Remote wipe: This feature allows you to remote wipe sensitive data synced to a computer that is stolen or that should no longer have that information on it.
- Outlook plugin: facilitates the sending of large files by sending a link to the file instead of sending the actual file in the attachment, thus avoiding large attachment file issues.
- Offline access: this feature makes it easy for you to sync folders or files to your mobile device for offline access.
- Integration with many apps and services (e.g. Comulo, Kloudless, Xendo, WritePDF, etc.).
SugarSync has a keyword searchable Help Center with comprehensive information on all aspects of installing, configuring the setting of the Desktop app, and troubleshooting information. If you don’t find any helpful answers, you can submit a support ticket. No live support or instant phone support is available, although business plans do have live phone support access between 6 am and 5 pm on workdays.
Pros and Cons of SugarSync
What distinguishes this online backup service from its competition?
Pros to consider:
- Compatibility with major platforms;
- Sync with multiple computers;
- Sharing and collaboration functions;
- Scalability of business plans;
- Remote wipe feature;
- Top-notch desktop and mobile apps.
- No Linux support;
- File versioning works for up to 5 previous versions only;
- Slightly on the expensive side compared to other cloud backup services;
- No free subscription, only a 30-day trial version;
- No live chat or phone support for individual user plans.
Who is SugarSync for?
This online storage and backup service succeeds in being a good option for individual users and businesses alike. By analyzing the features of this service, it is clear that SugarSync strives to create a flexible and straightforward product that meets the data storing, backing and sharing requirements of consumers. It offers an integrated solution for personal and business use, and makes sharing and collaboration easy with family members or teams, and across multiple devices and platforms.