We live in a world where technology rules and things are changing in a very fast manner. Technology advances more and more every day and if you don’t follow the latest trends you will be left behind. This is especially important if your income is dependent on technology and if you make your income (or even some part of it) on the Internet, you need to stay up to date with all important changes. Of course, we are talking about SEO strategies.
SEO is a very active field and it is constantly changing, but what is even more important is that those changes don’t have to be big to have a huge impact on your business. For instance, only a few years ago, it was considered good to use meta keywords and was thought that they are a positive factor when it comes to ranking. Today, it has become a negative ranking element.
It is still the beginning of this New Year and perhaps it is a good time to take a good look at your SEO results and maybe change a few things about it. If you are just starting out and you need to develop best SEO strategy to make sure that you will be able to catch up with more experienced competitors and we will try to give you a few tips and help you devise the best SEO strategy for yourself. In fact, if you are just starting out, you will come across many difficulties. For instance, the most important thing for Google to rank you high is trust. Now, the problem for the beginners lies in the fact that it is very hard to gain trust (constant traffic) if you are not ranked high enough. That is just the surface of the things you will have to deal with if you want to have a successful online business. However, you can overcome these issues if you have a good SEO strategy in place. So, let’s take a look at SEO strategies you should use in 2017.
1. Produce More Visual Content
In recent years, search engines are constantly improving their visual search features like crawling videos and images. Even though SEO has for a long time been only in the minds of content writers that were required to produce blog posts and articles that are SEO-friendly, in 2017 and in the foreseeable future, SEO should be considered important for visual artists as well.
When it comes to SEO for videos, you need to think about meta tags, descriptions, keywords and recommended length for videos. In addition to this, you should also create a video sitemap and introduce a video transcript.
- Your videos should be around 2 minutes long since they get the highest engagement rates.
- You must do keyword research specifically for video or image content since they might be slightly different than keywords for written content.
- The video title and description should be then corresponding to that keyword research. Don’t forget about your video file name as well.
- You need to optimize the content of your explainer video as well, but you need to also focus on aesthetics, such as colors, pictures, graphics, etc.
- You can also create a video gallery so your visitors can find without any problem what they are looking for. However, you will need to separate each video and their page.
2. Consider Voice Search
Another concept that will surely gain a lot of support in 2017 and future is the voice search. The reason for this is the fact that voice search is rapidly growing among the most used types of search methods. According to the Google statistics, more than half of teenagers and around 40% of all adults use the voice search on a daily basis. They do it to ask for directions, for calling people and cooking recipes and instructions in most cases, but it is an obvious trend that will surely continue to grow.
In fact, Google is looking for ways to further improve voice search. For instance, they are adding idiosyncrasies and speech quirks to their voice search, so it is clearly visible that voice search is the search of the future.
So, now that you know that voice search will probably become the most popular search type in the next couple of years, there is the question of what to do to improve your SEO strategy to address this:
- Have pages that answer FAQ
- Focus on long-tail keywords
- Optimize your local listings
- Think how people speak
- Create mobile friendly websites and content
- Improve the speed of your website
- Avoid long articles and try to present your content in visual form
- Keep your eye on the performance
3. Content Relevance and Quality
Things have changed in content SEO department as well. It is no longer enough to simply write a blog post that is centered on a single keyword that has been chosen carefully from your keyword research. One reason for this lies in the fact that keywords have moved to the long tail and that means that you can now create more content that is centered on one topic or subject. That is why it is a lot more effective, when it comes to SEO techniques, to write a series of articles or blog posts around a certain concept which is related to a keyword phrase, instead of single article or blog post centered on a single keyword.
If you are wondering why have keyword phrases become more effective and popular than generic keywords, the answer is very simple – they are more concrete. For instance, if you have a keyword that is too generic, people that end up searching that keyword will get various results. Also, it is a growing tendency because people are also moving toward using long tail keywords rather than generic ones.
This leads to creating multiple related contents that will allow your visitor to get the answers they were looking for and many of them will find that related content interesting too. You need to offer your audience extra added values if you want them to stick around longer or possibly come back to your blog or website.
4. Improve your content SEO with related content
- Create great content that is relevant to the pages that had the most views.
- Link this content to different relevant contents on your website. That means enhancing the way you utilize internal links.
- Link your content to relevant content on other blogs or sites. That means improving the way you use external links.
- Add visual content, like graphics, images, videos, etc. That will allow you to make your point heard louder and clearer. It also helps you engage your visitors more.
- Add some basic information or a concise biography of authors of your content. That way, your audience will be able to recognize them and know who they are addressing.
5. Building solid conversation and relationship around great content
Even though great content is very important for your SEO strategy, having that simply isn’t enough. You need to create solid foundations when it comes to conversations and relationships as well, so you need to focus on interacting with your visitors as well. To do this, you need to follow these tips:
- Always reply to comments that your visitors leave on your blog posts. That way you will be able to keep the conversation alive.
- Reply to comments on the links from your website on different social media platforms. This is another great way to build a relationship with your audience.
- Connect with as many bloggers and authors as you can. You can do this by leaving interesting comments on their blog posts, especially those related to your content.
- Concentrate on developing relationships with people in your line of business. You can also recognize the best of them in your blog posts.
- Join online groups that are in your line of work to get new ideas, share experiences with other members and create new connections.
6. Recognize Your Strong and Weak Sides
You need to be able to recognize your strengths and weaknesses. That way you can invest extra effort to fixing your shortcomings and maximizing your advantages. These are great SEO strategies that can help you increase your traffic, but also your conversion rates.
To find out what are your strengths and weaknesses, you need to use Google Analytics and Google AdWords Keyword Planner, which are rather basic tools when it comes to SEO, so it shouldn’t be hard to identify your strong and weak sides with them. Another way to do this is by using Google Search Console. That can help you find mistakes and errors on your website and to fix them so they adhere to standards set by Google.
- Fix mistakes and issues on your websites with Google Search Console
- Identify the keywords that are ranked high on SERPs and on your pages that have the most views. You can do this with Google Analytics, but there are also other tools you can use.
- Create more great content that is related to these high-performing keywords.
- Create more great content that is related to these most viewed pages. You can also use internal links to link them.
- Find out how your clients came to your website. If they found you through Google search, ask what keywords they used. You can exploit this knowledge further by relying on those keywords even more than before.
7. It is a Must to Go Mobile
One of the most important things that you need to pay attention to in 2017 when it comes to SEO strategies is SEO strategy for mobile users. Even if you don’t feel like that is such an important issue, you still need to make sure that your content is optimized for mobile users since search engines have already accepted mobile content as extremely critical and are constantly working to improve their search options and make them more effective for mobile users.
Creating mobile-friendly content
So, the first step to staying relevant with mobile users is creating mobile-friendly content. To do this, you need to understand people’s reading habits when it comes to mobile devices. This differs from desktop users since they focus most on the top left side of the screen, while mobile users have their focus more evenly distributed. That means that you will have to focus on the entirety of your content, in contrast to desktop readers where you had to optimize the previously mentioned top left section.
Another thing to do here is making your content structure optimized for mobile devices. That means avoiding long streams of text and focusing on creating your content in smaller portions or chunks. Also, you need to write concise and shorter headlines if you want to attract mobile users to read your content.
Responsive design is the key
Before you can even consider creating content that is suitable to mobile users, you first need to make sure that your website has a mobile-friendly design. Responsive design means that your website will be able to resize itself depending on the device that a visitor uses. There are a lot of reasons for this, but let’s name the most important few:
- Performance – Going with responsive design will help you make sure that your website performs to the highest standards. Redirecting usually takes a lot of time, especially on mobile devices and in this new age of technology where every second matters. Responsive design is simply the fastest solution.
- Easy sharing – Sharing a single URL in social media is very easy for your visitors.
- A single URL – Having this single URL is simply a lot better in general for your SEO results.
If you want to stay on top in a market and environment that is constantly changing, you need to follow those changes and stay up to date with them. Modifying your SEO strategy might sound scary, especially if your current SEO strategy is giving good results, but you need to keep up with every innovation if you want your website and business to remain relevant and generate high traffic rates.