A business website must be clean, simple and intuitive for your customers especially if you provide specific services in your niche. Creating a business website with WordPress is a good opportunity to increase the number of customers and to manage your own content, theme and additional features with the help of plugins and scripts.
Recommended: Best Premium WordPress Plugins for Business Websites.
There are multiple types of business websites:
- Brochure style website is actually a simple presentation website where there are pages with a history of the business, contact, customer testimonials, about, team and services offered. Brochure style website usually offers information and a calculator that estimates the price for a selected service for the customer.
- Magazine style website is an online magazine that attracts visitors because of their content and uses blogs and affiliate marketing to increase its revenue. Often, this type of business website has slideshows, images, and videos incorporated within the articles.
- E-commerce style website are the best business website type because the revenue increases selling products online to customers. You can sell any kind of products or just a category/ subcategory as you like and you can have a lot of features to improve customers experience and increase his loyalty and satisfaction.
- The classified-style website where people can write their ads with images, text, slides, and videos and where they can pay for featured ads, automatically renewal or other useful features to improve the visibility of their ads. Depending on your wishes, the classified website can be either a general one or it can have ads only from a category/subcategory similar as the e-commerce website.
General Purpose Websites
For general purpose, either brochure, magazine, e-commerce or classified websites, you need several WordPress plugins to create a perfect website with the proper features and to improve your traffic and revenue:
- All in One SEO Pack plugin is very useful when you want to make proper SEO for your website and when you want to add keywords, titles and descriptions very easily and quickly to each page and article. Additionally, you can link your Google Plus, Google Webmaster Tools, and Google Analytics accounts to improve and see statistics regarding visits and visitors
- Custom Favicon plugin is one of the plugins you need for branding, with it, you can upload a custom favicon, even an animated one that will represent you and your business.
- Google XML Sitemaps creates sitemaps for Google bot, Bing bot, Yahoo bot and other search engines bots who use sitemaps to index your business website and to improve your page rank.
- WP Updates Notifier helps you to update your WordPress Core, themes and plugins each time new versions are available by sending you an e-mail every time.
- Akismet is a spam protection plugin that detects not only spam comments but also comments with insults. You can use this plugin by linking your WordPress.com account and you can also see how many comments Akismet stopped on your website.
- Contact Form 7 is the best customizable contact form available for free where you can create fields for telephones, subject, message, e-mail, captcha, address and so on.
- Flamingo is a plugin that works perfectly with Contact Form 7 using all the received messages and storing them and the contact details of the people who contacted you in a page similar with a phone-book.
Brochure Type Website
For brochure style website, you need additional three specific plugins to make things work smoothly:
- Simple Pagination allows to set up an advanced and easier navigation on your website having 6 styles: CSS 3, Flickr, Digg, Sabrus.us, Green and Grey.
- Share Buttons by AddtoAny that allows customers to share content from your website to their own Facebook page or profile, Twitter account and so on.
- Skype Online Status plugin is very useful when you want your customers to see if you are online on Skype so they contact you for a live price estimation or other required information.
- Bonus: zeeTasty Theme is specially created for a brochure website where you can have 3 columns on the front page with Welcome text, Services and About us. The theme is clean and fully responsive having features such as custom layout, custom logo image, custom header, featured images and custom background.
This type of business website uses interesting and attracting plugins for visitors such as:
- Recent Posts Slider is a nice plugin that uses featured images from the latest posted articles and creates a slideshow with multiple slides. You can customize the pagination of the slideshow, the number of slides, the buttons but also the number of images on a slide.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin helps you to show similar posts as the one the visitors read making him stay more on your website and increasing the traffic.
- Jetpack by WordPress.com is one of the most useful packs of plugins offering articles, clicks, searches and visitors statistics but also a small contact form, enhanced images and automatically publicize option of the posted articles on the website directly to social media networks and so on.
- Bonus: Magazine Basic theme created especially for magazine websites having a customizer and supporting post formats such as Video, Image, Aside, Status, Audio, Quote, Link, and Gallery. It is also compatible with JetPack plugin, bbPress, and BuddyPress.
For e-commerce style website there are several nice plugins like:
- WP e-Commerce is the most used e-commerce plugin that helps your website to become a nice and powerful online shop seamlessly integrating to WordPress and having multiple payment gateways, drag and drop shopping, SSL certificates, Catalog management and so on.
- Newsletter is one of the most customizable plugins that allows you to create emails for your customers after multiple templates and also using CSS.
- WP Support Plus Responsive Ticket System (Update: this plugin has been permanently removed from WordPress plugin repository following multiple critical security problems) that you can use to offer support to your customers and information if they need.
- Bonus: Neighborhood Responsive Multi-Purpose Shop Theme comes with Retina Ready, Color customization, WooCommerce, Wishlist Integration, Typography Options, Shortcode Generator, Custom Widgets, and so on.
Classified-style website uses similar plugins with the e-commerce type, but has some specific ones also:
- Captcha plugin can be very useful when you have hundreds of users who post ads.
- Ditty News Ticker can help you post the last news regarding your classified style.
- Polldaddy Polls & Ratings can help you to get feedback from your customers and to rate posted ads.
- Bonus: Classipress – a classified website theme that contains a lot of features such as ads management, user management, multiple pricing models, custom fields, custom forms, membership packs, auto-complete search, advanced search, social networks login and so on.
So, what type of business website are you building or running with WordPress? What plugins are you using or what have I missed from the above list? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.