IDrive is definitely one of the most versatile and feature-packed backup services you’ll find so…
$8.69 / month
JustCloud is an easy to use, beginner-friendly cloud storage and online backup service that was criticized in the past by reviewers and users alike for not being transparent enough and not offering the exact same services they advertised. Users took offence especially at the unlimited cloud storage this service claimed to provide, but also for pricing plans being too obscure. It looks like JustCloud took notice of these complaints, because they have implemented a few changes and updates by adding more functionality to their services, improving their security and stability, which turned them into a more reliable cloud backup service for personal and small business use.
Why should You use JustCloud?
JustCloud is not intended for large businesses or for commercial applications that usually need a very robust backup plan, and instead it focuses more on consumer needs, which is reflected by their highly intuitive and user-friendly control panel that allows users to easily navigate through all the features of JustCloud and manage their file storage and backup needs on the go.
If you’re a first-time user of cloud storage, if you take a lot of pictures or work with a lot of files, and you need to back them up, if you’re a small business, and you need file sync and share capabilities, then JustCloud is the right product for you. JustCloud lets you back up music, photos, videos/movies, files, emails, etc. across multiple devices. Simply log into your account from any device and back up the files you want.
JustCloud plans, features and support
In the next part of this JustCloud review I will summarize the plans and pricing, will show you the features and will present the online support offered by the company.
JustCloud Pricing & Plans
Users can create a free account that comes with 1GB storage, which is not much and in any case it’s far less than what average users may need as cloud storage, especially when it comes to storing movies or music videos. JustCloud’s free plan basically allows you to store documents and photos, but it’s also a good way to test their service and see all the features in action before making a financial commitment.
Users can choose from three paid plans as follows: the Home/Pro Plan with 75GB storage for $10.43/month, the Premium Plan with 250GB storage for $11.93/month, and the Ultimate Plan with 1TB of storage for $14.93/month. All plans offer discounts for 6-month, 12-month and 24-month subscriptions. These are indeed reasonable prices, but also not the cheapest option on the market.
If the above plans don’t cover all your needs, you have the option to add additional services to your chosen plan. For example, for automated, scheduled backups the maximum file size is set to 1GB. To increase the set maximum file size, you need to choose an add-on service that renews annually.
In terms of feature availability JustCloud have certainly upped their game making cloud storage a simple and efficient task.
Key features of JustCloud include:
- Cross-platform sync and OS compatibility – JustCloud allows you to sync your files across all your devices and computers. The JustCloud downloadable application is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux. The mobile app can be downloaded to Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows phones and tablets, Blackberry, Kindle Fire;
- Automatic and scheduled backup – you can set the program to automatically back up your files at certain periods;
- Drag and drop feature – this feature allows you to back up files by simply dragging them into the desktop application or into the Sync folder of your web application;
- File versioning – this feature allows you to restore a previous version of an overwritten file. You can’t restore a version older than 7 most recent versions, to be able to do that you have to purchase an add-on service.
- Folder and file sharing via email or social network.
24/7 support is available via phone, email and live chat. Technical support is available only via email and live chat. JustCloud also has a Knowledge Base center, where users can find installation guides, troubleshooting information, account and billing information, answers to frequently asked questions, and tutorials on how to sync, share and back up files.
The technical support at JustCloud also received a lot of mixed reviews in the past, customers claiming that support was not responsive or rapid enough, but most customers registered an overall good support experience with answers being rated as helpful. Hopefully, the added live chat feature that was extended to also include technical support will speed up the support process.
Pros and cons of JustCloud
The pros of JustCloud mostly revolve around the user-friendliness and the flexibility it ensures for storing and backing up files:
- Fast learning curve, efficient and hassle-free online storing and backup service;
- Compatibility with multiple devices and operating systems;
- Automatic and scheduled backup options for added convenience;
- Restoring previous file versions;
- Drag and drop individual files to back them up and sync them across all your devices;
- Access to your files from anywhere by signing in to your account;
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
The cons of JustCloud:
- Pricey – while the basic plans do seem to have a reasonable price, if you need some added features (e.g. automatic video backup), then JustCloud ends up charging more for their services than what other cloud backups charge;
- Add-on services can only be purchased on an annual basis, and should you decide to terminate after the first 30 days, you’ll not receive a pro-rated refund for the add-on services.
- File-size limits.
While JustCloud did give up their somewhat shady marketing strategies that raised a lot of eyebrows in the past, and worked on improving their services and security (they switched from 128-bit encryption to 265-bit encryption), there is still room for improvement especially in the price department. On the face of it, their plans look reasonable and they even offer discounts for committed users, but if you need some of their extra services, JustCloud may not be the most affordable choice.
Should you use JustCloud? The best way to decide is to sign up for their basic free plan, download the web app and test their user interface and features to see if they meet your requirements.