IDrive is definitely one of the most versatile and feature-packed backup services you’ll find so much so that it can be overwhelming for some users. Nonetheless, IDrive is easy to set up and has excellent file backup, file restoration, and file sharing capabilities, and some very appealing extra features for individuals and businesses. IDrive supports multiple devices and operating systems including iPhones, iPads, Android devices, Windows Phones, PCs, Macs, and unlike many of its competitors, IDrive also supports Linux PCs, however, only in their Business subscription tiers.
Although it doesn’t offer unlimited storage space, you can rest assured that your online data backup needs will be met by IDrive’s comprehensive online storage and backup plans.
IDrive Plans, Pricing, Features and Support
In the upcoming part of our IDrive review I will present the main features that the company offers, the different plans and pricing and will also talk about support.
IDrive Plans & Price
There’s certainly no shortage of plans and pricing options at IDrive. Individual users can choose between a Basic Free plan and two IDrive Personal plans. The Basic Free plan never expires, and it offers 5GB, which can be increased via referrals. The IDrive Personal plan has a 1TB option for a discounted price of $52.12 for first year and a 10TB option for a discounted price of $374.62 for first year. There are no monthly payment options in this subscription tier.
IDrive Business plans come with several options based on storage size: 250GB for $74.62/first year, 500GB for $149.62/first year, 1.25TB for $374.62/first year or $49.95 monthly, 2.5TB for $599.62/first year or $79.95 monthly, 5TB for $1124.62/first year or $149.95 monthly, and the 12.5TB option for $2249.62/first year or $299.95 monthly.
- Possibility to back up multiple devices including PCs, Macs, iOS and Android mobile devices, external and network drives.
- Real-time backup: this feature automatically recognizes changes made to files up to 500MB in size and backs them up in real-time. Should you want to override this feature, you can set the frequency of the backup to 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or 60 minutes.
- Incremental and compressed backups: Following a full initial backup, IDrive transfers only those portions of your files that have been changed. This ensures that your bandwidth usage is optimized and backups are quick.
- IDrive Rewind: this is the IDrive file versioning feature that retains up to 10 versions of your files, but comes with a unique twist – it allows you to restore up to 10 most recent versions of all files within a folder.
- Sharing capabilities: IDrive allows you to share multiple files of any size from your web browser, desktop app, and mobile app. Share your files over email or social media platforms. You can password protect shared files and set permissions (“can view” or “can edit”).
- Facebook & Instagram backup: this feature is a true novelty and it allows users to back up photos and videos shared by them on these platforms. With the Instagram backup you can secure files from more than one Instagram account.
- Gallery View and Video Streaming: the Gallery View eases the photo viewing experience of users by allowing them to share, download, delete, print, rotate, etc. their photos directly from the Gallery View. IDrive also supports video streaming for videos that are less than 30 minutes long and smaller than 2GB. You can stream videos directly from your account using any web browser.
- IDrive Express: with this fast transfer service, you can upload or retrieve data by using a hard drive of up to 3TB. Request a hard drive, transfer your data using IDrive’s Local Backup, ship it back and your data will be transferred to your online account.
- IDrive One Hybrid Backup: the hybrid backup allows you to create a local backup of all your data whether it’s on your computers, mobile devices or servers. IDrive One is a wireless local backup for faster restores. The price for IDrive One starts at $79.50 for a 128 GB SSD or 1TB HDD and comes with a complementary 1TB IDrive account for the first year.
- File restore: IDrive lets you recover your deleted files from the Trash within a period of 30 days.
- Server backup, disk image backup, possibility to create sub-accounts, premier installation, GPO installation (business plans only).
- Security: Data is encrypted with 256-bit AES encryption on upload and at rest. You can also create a private key for your account, which will not be stored on IDrive’s servers.
IDrive has all the support channels you can wish for. You can contact their support team via phone, email, live chat, and talq messaging. The website has plenty of resources from comprehensive FAQ to video tutorials to help you out with installing and configuring IDrive.
With the multitude of features, novelty elements, several subscription plans, and support offered by IDrive, it’s no wonder that they are on the fast track to becoming the best and most well-tough-out online backup and cloud storage provider giving the competition a lot of catching up to do.
Pros and cons of IDrive
IDrive is a reliable and affordable service provider when it comes to online data backup and cloud storage. There are benefits of using this service but certainly there are few disadvantages as well. Here are some pros and cons of IDrive.
- Unlimited devices, including external and network drives, in one account
- Incremental and compressed backups
- Multiple file versioning
- Excellent sharing capabilities
- No monthly personal plans
- No unlimited online storage
- Overwhelming set of features
Why should You use IDrive?
IDrive is created mainly for businesses and individuals who have multiple devices that need to be backed up. Judging by the extensive suite of features available at IDrive, it’s clear that IDrive is one of the more ambitious cloud storage and backup services on the market that tries to offer a solution to all the backup needs users may have. While this is something that it’s certainly appreciated by most users, some users may not be able to use IDrive at its fullest capacity. In this sense, tech savvy users who want to back up multiple devices may draw more benefits from using IDrive as opposed to users with a single PC and a mobile device, and who just need a simple online backup service. This is not to say that average users cannot benefit from using IDrive, especially that it comes at an affordable price that is comparable to the pricing offered by much simpler cloud backup services.